What to do if you are worried about flooding

Flood warnings have been issued by the Meteorological Office and the Environment Agency which may lead to surface and/or river flooding, details can be seen on the Environment Agency website.

If you live in an area that has been previously been flooded, or live near to a river or watercourse, please make sure you have put flood defences in place and be alert for flood warnings from the Environment Agency.

While it's impossible to completely flood-proof a property, there are lots of things you can do to reduce flood damage.

Please also download the leaflet 'flooding planning managing and recovering from a flood'.

Actions you take could help, which could include:

  • plan ahead and buy flood defences or sandbags from local DIY or builders merchants
  • move treasured possessions to a place of safety (an upstairs room)
  • make a plan, so you know what you will do/where you will go, if it does flood
  • keep an eye on flood alerts and sign up for the free Environment Agency flood alerts

The Environment Agency's website contains up-to-date river level readings for 8 locations in or near the Borough. These are:-

  • River Trent - Drakelow (for Burton upon Trent) and Kings Bromley
  • River Dove - Rocester, Doveridge, Aston Bridge, Rolleston on Dove
  • River Churnet - Quixhill (Denstone)
  • River Team - UpperTean

The change in river depth can be checked for the last 48 hours.

Protecting your property or business

If you want to protect your property or business, sandbags and other flood protection products can be useful.

To find out more about how to protect your home during flooding, visit the Environment Agency website, which has lots of handy hints and tips, as well as advice on where to purchase flood protection supplies.

The National Flood Forum also lists lots of companies you may be able to talk to about flood defences.

What should you do?

We would encourage owners of homes and businesses in flood risk areas to make their own provision for flood defence, well in advance of a flood.

Sandbags will not totally prevent floodwater encroaching into property and householders should remove belongings to a safe location above the anticipated flood level.

People building flood defences with sandbags should also be aware of the building methods to make an effective seal and the health and safety implications of manual handling sandbags as they can be heavy.

More information is available on the Environment Agency website.

Highways issues

For more information on how flooding is affecting roads please visit the Highways Agency website.

Sign up for free flood alerts

If you want to be notified about flood warnings, you can sign up for a Floodline Warnings Direct - a free flood warning alert on the Environment Agency website.

The Environment Agency offers a free flood alert system called FLOODLINE which you can register for on 0345 988 1188. FLOODLINE provides flood warnings direct to you by phone, text or email. It also provides practical advice on preparing for a flood, and what to do if one happens.

What if you live near a river or watercourse?

If you own land or property alongside a river or other watercourse, visit the Highways Agency website and download the Living on the Edge booklet.

The booklet contains information about:

  • your rights and responsibilities as an owner
  • the Environment Agency's role
  • the role of other organisations who you may need to work with
  • who is responsible for flood defences
  • what that means in practice
  • how we can work together to protect and enhance the natural environment of our rivers and streams

What to do if you are flooded

If you are flooded and want more advice or guidance, please contact the Environment Agency's Floodline service on 0345 988 1188.

You can listen to recorded flood warning information for your area or speak to an operator for advice 24 hours a day.

The Environment Agency website contains lots of information about what to do if you are worried about a flood, are flooded, and how to clean up after a flood. Use the following links to find out more, which all take you to the Environment Agency website:

Rest centres

In the event of a flooding emergency that requires people to be evacuated from their homes, we have identified a number of premises across the district, and if necessary will work with local organisations to set up and man rest centres. We will publish any details about rest centres to this page, if and when they are set up.

There are currently no rest centres set up in East Staffordshire.

Sandbags policy

We are not responsible for protecting private property (such as homes and businesses) during or before a flood. This is the responsibility of the individual property owners/residents and not the responsibility of the district council or any other agency.

Our priority is to reinforce flood defences, protect highways and protect district council assets at risk of flooding.