View conservation area appraisals
Conservation Area Boundary Amendment Consultations
Following consultation on the Conservation Area Appraisals in July 2015, it is now necessary to consult separately on the boundary amendments for three conservation areas. The Council are welcoming views on the boundary amendments by Monday 28th November 2016. Comments can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Conservation Area boundary amendments can be viewed below:
Giving an area 'conservation area' status helps us to safeguard the special character and appearance of historic areas of the Borough for future generations.
These areas are varied in character, but all buildings, structures or features of historic or architectural value combine to create a unique environment and sense of place.
Statutory planning powers under planning law help us:
- Provide and support high quality development proposals within a conservation area
- Control demolition (unless the demolition and redevelopment would bring an enhancement to the character and setting to the conservation area)
- Protect trees from harmful works
- Control advertisements and provide suitable illumination of signage
- Carry out urgent work necessary to preserve any vacant unlisted building that has fallen into serious disrepair, and to recover costs from the owner.
Designating a conservation area
We have a duty to preserve and enhance the character and appearance of each conservation area, under the Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (as amended) and our own historic environment policies contained in the local plan.
While we are ultimately responsible for deciding whether an area should be given conservation area status, the decision is only taken after extensive research through a conservation area appraisal and consultation with people living and owning property in the area.
Conservation Area Appraisals and Conservation Area Designation Documents
- Abbots Bromley Conservation Area Appraisal 2015
- Admaston Conservation Area Designation Document 1989
- Barton under Needwood Conservation Area Appraisal 2009
- Burton upon Trent Town Centre (Nos.2 & 3) Conservation Area Appraisal 2009
- Church Mayfield Conservation Area Appraisal 2008
- Clarence Street & Anglesey Road, Burton upon Trent Conservation Area Appraisal 2008
- Ellastone Conservation Area Designation Document 1973
- George Street, Burton upon Trent Conservation Area Appraisal 2015
- Hoar Cross Conservation Area Appraisal 1997
- Horninglow Street/Guild Street Conservation Area Designation Document 1990
- King Edward Place Conservation Area Appraisal 2008
- Marchington Conservation Area Appraisal 2015
- Middle Mayfield Conservation Area Designation Document 1974
- Newborough Conservation Area Designation Document 1977
- Rangemore Conservation Area Appraisal 2013
- Rocester Conservation Area Appraisal 2015
- Rolleston on Dove Conservation Area Appraisal 2007
- Stanton Conservation Area Appraisal 2007
- Station Street & Borough Road, Burton upon Trent Conservation Area Appraisal 2015
- Tatenhill Conservation Area Appraisal 2013
- Trent and Mersey Canal Conservation Area Designation Document 1988
- Tutbury Conservation Area Appraisal 2015
- Uttoxeter Conservation Area Appraisal 2009
- Wootton Conservation Area Designation Document 1990
- Yoxall Conservation Area Appraisal 2015