Hypnotism licence

Why do I need consent for a performance of Hypnotism?

The Law states that nobody can give an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism (on any living person) for the purposes of entertainment without the approval of the local authority.


Hypnotism for scientific or research purposes or for the treatment of mental or physical disease does not need to be licensed.

Hypnotism that takes place during a performance of a play does not need approval.

Must I meet a certain criteria before I can apply for consent?

Applicants must not have been previously refused, or had withdrawn, a consent by any licensing authority

Applicants must not have been convicted of an offence or breach of condition under the Hypnotism Act 1952.

Refusal of consent by another authority does not mean that the hypnotist will automatically be considered unacceptable.

Hypnotism licence

How do I apply?

Click here to apply

How will my application will be determined?

An application for consent to conduct an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism shall be made by the applicant or his/her agent.

Applications should be made not less than 28 days in advance of the performance concerned and must include details of the previous 3 performances conducted by the applicant.

Applications that cause concern will be referred to the Licensing Committee for a decision to be made.

How long will it take to process my application?

We will endeavour to process your application within 20 working days. If acknowledgement of receipt of your application has not been received within this time, please contact us.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

If my application is refused how do I appeal?

There is no right of appeal contained within the Hypnotism Act 1952 (as amended), hence the only form of redress is Judicial Review.

What legislation applies?

Hypnotism Act 1952

How much will it cost?

Please see our licensing fees page.

What if I have a complaint or concern?

If you have a complaint or concern about a Hypnotism Consent, please contact us.

General advice

If you are in the UK, advice is available from adviceguide

If you are outside the UK, advice if available from the UK European Consumer Centre

Licensing Contact

Licensing contact information

  • 01283 508310
  • licensing@eaststaffsbc.gov.uk