Free help and advice with your Council Tax

Advice and support if you are struggling to pay

We want to make sure that residents are able to meet their financial obligations. If you are struggling to pay your bills we want you to have access the right support so that you can manage and overcome periods of financial difficulty. 

If you have Council Tax arrears please contact us at to see how we can help you. We can look at options that will help you get money off your bill and we may be able to offer you a payment arrangement that takes into account your financial circumstances. The sooner you contact us the better our chances of helping you. 

You can also get free independent debt advice from the following charities and organisations:

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice provide free advice to help you deal with your debt problems, how to avoid losing your home and how to get your finances back into shape.  

Tel: 0344 411 1444

Money Helper

Money Helper provide free help and support with managing your debts, budgeting as well as finding extra financial support. 

You can also use the Money Navigator tool for further advice. 

Tel: 0800 138 7777

National Debtline

National Debtline are a registered charity who provide free, impartial expert debt advice. They will help with budgeting, explore how you can increase your income and help you make a plan to tackle your debts in the longer term. 

Tel: 0808 808 4000

StepChange Debt Charity

StepChange will give you tailored advice to help you deal with your debts. 

Tel: 0800 138 1111

We will work in partnership with these organisations so that you have time to get the help and support you need through the Breathing Space scheme.

Council Tax Reduction

Find out if you are entitled to claim Council Tax Reduction and how to claim online. 

See Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Contact Us

Council Tax contact information

  • 01283 508030