Council Tax Reduction

You can apply to get money off your council tax bill if you are on a low income or claiming benefits. You can apply for Council Tax Reduction whether you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

Check if you are eligible for Council Tax Reduction

National Insurance

On 22nd September 2022 the Government announced in-year reductions to National Insurance rates and the cancellation of the Health and Social Care Levy as a separate tax. National Insurance contributions rates will be cut by 1.25 percentage points for employees, employers and the self-employed, from 6th November 2022, meaning 28 million people across the UK keep more of what they earn, worth an extra £330 on average in 2023-24, with an additional saving of around £135 on average this year.

Increasing your pay

The National Living and National Minimum Wage rates rose in April. Check your pay to make sure you are getting the pay rate you’re entitled to.

Check your pay

Check if you’re eligible for Universal Credit

If you’re on low income, out of work or cannot work you may be eligible for Universal Credit. The government has made changes to allow working families to keep more of their money.

Check if you’re eligible for Universal Credit 

Claim Marriage Allowance

Marriage Allowance allows you to transfer 10% (£1,260) of your personal tax allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner if you earn less than the personal tax allowance, which is usually £12,570.

Find out about Marriage Allowance

Extra money available for carers

You could get £69.70 a week if you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

Check if you’re eligible for the Carer’s Allowance

Pension Credit for those on low income

You could get extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income: even if you have savings or own your own home.

Check if you’re eligible for Pension Credit

Get help with savings if you’re on a low income (Help to Save)

Help to Save is a savings account. If you’re entitled to Working Tax Credit or you’re receiving Universal Credit, you can get a bonus of 50p for every £1 you save over 4 years.

Find out about Help to Save

Child Trust Funds

A Child Trust Fund is a long-term tax-free savings account for children born between 1 September 2002 and 2 January 2011.

For those who hold an account but do not know the Child Trust Fund provider, or if you’re unsure whether you have one or not, we can help you find out.

Find a Child Trust Fund

Get help if you cannot pay your tax bill

Contact HMRC as soon as possible if you cannot pay your tax bill. We’re here to help, and you may be able to pay what you owe in instalments, depending on your circumstances and what you can afford.

Find out what to do if you cannot pay your tax bill on time