Home > Council tax > Disagree with your council tax band

Disagree with your council tax band

Coronavirus: Council Tax

Council Tax payers who pay their council tax instalments over 10 months can contact us and we will extend their payments to 12 months in the financial year. Please call us on 01283 508030 or email council.tax@eaststaffsbc.gov.uk to extend your instalment payments.

Council Tax payers who receive Council Tax Reduction due to receiving low incomes will soon be entitled to a reduction in their Council Tax via the Hardship Fund recently announced by Government.

We collect Council Tax on behalf of Staffordshire County Council, Fire, Police and Parishes. It is vitally important that Council Tax payers continue to pay in accordance with the instalments shown on their bills so that local services can continue to be provided and vulnerable people in our society can be supported, especially during the current pandemic.

What can I do if I disagree with the council tax band for my property?

Council tax banding is the responsibility of the valuation office agency (part of the inland revenue). There are only limited circumstances when an appeal can be made. For example:

  • Demolition of a property, conversion of houses into flats and physical changes in the locality may affect the value.
  • A taxpayer can also appeal within 6 months of becoming a taxpayer or having their band changed, and within 6 months of a band change to a property similar to their own.

If you require further information on appeals against bandings you should contact:

The Listing Officer
Valuation Office Agency
Blackburn House
Old Hall Street
Stoke On Trent

Telephone 03000 505700 or 03000 501501

You can also lodge an appeal online on their website at http://www.voa.gov.uk/