Street collection permit

Why do I need a permit?

To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes in England or Wales, you require a street collection permit from your local council.

Must I meet a certain criteria before I can apply for a permit?

East Staffordshire Borough Council has a policy to only allow a society to make 3 collections per year in each area, for example, a society can make 3 collections in Uttoxeter and another 3 collections in Burton upon Trent, either on separate days or on the same day.

The Council do not issue permits for collections in the shopping centres in Burton upon Trent. You can contact the shopping centres direct using the contact numbers below:

Coopers Square 01283 536906
Burton Place 01283 510458
Octagon 01283 515000

If you wish to hold a collection in the Maltings Shopping Centre in Uttoxeter you will require permission from the Centre and a permit from us. You can contact the Maltings Shopping Centre on telephone number 01889 564295.

The following criteria must be met before an application can be accepted:

  • The society must not have already held 3 collections in the area in which they wish to collect.
  • The application must be submitted at least 28 days prior to the collection date.
  • Returns forms for collections previously undertaken within East Staffordshire must be submitted before a new permit can be issued.

You are advised to contact the Licensing Office before applying to ensure that the proposed date of collection is available.

What legislation applies?

Charities Act 1992

What conditions are attached to the permit once issued?

The Council will issue regulations relating to street collections conducted within East Staffordshire.

How will my application will be determined?

On processing your application and prior to issuing a licence details of the charity will be checked with the charity commission.

How much will it cost?

There is no fee payable for this application.

How do I apply?


Apply for an application to licence a street collection
Supply a return for a street collection
Statement of Accounts


You can also download the forms and post them back to us.

Apply for an application to licence a street collection (PDF)
Lottery Return Form


Street collection regulations

Do I need to provide further information or evidence?

The latest set of accounts for the charity that are to benefit from the collection.

If an agent is collecting on behalf of the society then written confirmation from the society must be submitted authorising the agent to collect on their behalf.

Applications for collections in the Maltings - Written confirmation from the Maltings Shopping Centre giving authorisation to collect in the Shopping Centre.

How long will it take to process my application?

We will endeavour to process your application within 20 working days. If acknowledgement of receipt of your application has not been received within this time, please contact us.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

If my application is refused how do I appeal?

Please contact us in the first instance for details of how to appeal.

How do I tell you about a change that may affect my permit?

You must notify us in writing of any changes to your current licence.

What if I have a complaint or concern?

If you have a complaint or concern about a Street Collection Permit, please contact us.

General advice

If you are in the UK, advice is available from Consumer Direct

If you are outside the UK, advice if available from the UK European Consumer Centre

What happens if I do not have a permit?

If a collection takes place without a street collection permit from the local authority, you may be prosecuted.

Can I view a public register on line?

No, as this register is not available for public inspection.

Should you experience any difficulty in applying on-line, please contact us.