Why do I need a licence?

In England and Wales you need a licence from the local authority to carry out House-to-House collections for charitable purposes.

Must I meet a certain criteria before I can apply for a licence?

Applications should be submitted at least 28 days prior to the commencement of the collection period.

You must be a fit and proper person.

Returns from any previous collections conducted in East Staffordshire must be submitted before a new licence will be issued.

House to house collections

General Information

What legislation applies?

House to House Collections Act 1939

What conditions are attached to the licence once issued?

The Council will issue regulations relating to house to house collections conducted within East Staffordshire.

How will my application be determined?

On processing your application and prior to issuing a licence details of the charity will be checked with the charity commission.

How much will it cost?

There is no fee for the application process.

Do I need to provide further information or evidence?

Applications must be submitted with a copy of the latest accounts for the charity that will benefit from the collection.

If an agent is being used for the collection then written authorisation will be required confirming that the agent is collecting on behalf of the charity.

How long will it take to process my application?

We will endeavour to process the application within 20 working days. If acknowledgement of receipt of your application has not been received within this time, please contact us.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

If my application is refused how do I appeal?

Please contact us in the first instance for details of how to appeal.

How do I tell you about a change that may affect my licence?

Any changes to the existing licence must be notified in writing.

General advice

If you are in the UK, advice is available from Consumer Direct.

If you are outside the UK, advice if available from the UK European Consumer Centre.

How do I apply?


Apply for a house to house licence

Supply a return for a house-to-house collection

Statement of Accounts

Should you experience any difficulty in applying on-line, please contact us.

What if I have a complaint or concern?

If you have a complaint or concern about a House to House Collection Licence, please contact us.

Licensing Contact

Licensing contact information

  • 01283 508310
  • licensing@eaststaffsbc.gov.uk