Apply for a new premises licence

Electronic applications

The online facility is only available for Temporary Event Notices therefore the Application form can be submitted to us by email using a downloaded application form.

Once the application has been received and checked, we can then take payment by credit/debit card over the telephone.  Once payment has been taken and the application is in order, we will forward to all responsible authorities on your behalf by email.

Written applications

A written application for a premises licence must be made in the prescribed form and be copied to each of the appropriate responsible authorities if submitted by postal Application.  If submitted via email, this will be treated as an On Line Application and we will forward to the Responsible Authorities on your behalf.

The Application must be accompanied by:

  • The required fee (fee details below)
  • An operating schedule (see below)
  • The location and extent of the boundary of the building, if relevant, and any external and internal walls which comprise the premises, or in which the premises is comprised
  • The location of exits from the premises
  • If different from the location of exits, the location of escape routes from the premises
  • The locations on or from the premises is to be used for the licensable activity and in the case of an application where the premises is to be used for more than one licensable activity the location for each activity (For the avoidance of doubt the different areas/activities should be marked in different colours).
  • In a case where the application relates to the supply of alcohol, the location or locations on the premises which is or are to be used for the consumption of alcohol
  • Fixed structures (including furniture) or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location (but not furniture) which may impact on the ability of individuals on the premises to use exits or escape routes without impediment
  • In a case where the premises includes a stage or raised area, the location and height of each stage or area relative to the floor
  • In a case where the premises includes any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts, the location of the steps, stairs, elevators or lifts
  • In a case where the premises includes any room or rooms containing public conveniences, the location of the room or rooms
  • The location and type of any fire safety and other safety equipment including, if applicable marine safety equipment
  • The location of a kitchen, if any on the premises


  • If the premises licence application is to include the retail of alcohol, the consent of the individual personal licence holder who wishes to be the premises supervisor is required,
  • If a club premises certificate application, a copy of the club rule book, and a declaration that the club is a “qualifying club”.

The Legislative Reform (Supervision of Alcohol Sales in Church and Village Halls &c.) Order 2009 amended the Act to allow certain community premises which have, or are applying for, a premises licence that authorises alcohol sales to also apply to include the alternative licence conditions instead of the usual mandatory conditions. Such an application may only be made if the licence holder is, or is to be, a committee or board of individuals with the responsibility for the management of the premises.

Applicants should check compliance with the Planning Department for the Premises - 01283 508606


See our licensing fees page.

Need Help?

If you require help when completing the forms, please contact the Licensing Team at East Staffordshire Borough Council for either advice or to arrange an appointment to come and get help in completing the form. Alternatively you may feel that you wish to pass the job of making your application to a reputable licensing professional such as a solicitor or consultant.

There is also guidance on the UK Government website.

How do I know if the application is complete?

Incomplete applications will be dealt with in one of two ways. If the application is simply missing one or two simple details, a letter requesting the missing documentation will be sent to the applicant and the application will be kept on hold. If there are more than a few simple details incomplete or the applicant fails to submit the necessary documentation, the application will be rejected and returned to the sender. The application must be resubmitted.  If your Application is being submitted via email, that we will serve on all Responsible Authorities on your behalf.

New Application Overview

Occasion on which a fee may be payable Who should be sent copies of application other than ESBC Licensing Team All fees are to be paid to East Staffordshire Borough Council
New Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate
  • Police
  • Staffordshire Safeguarding Children Board
  • Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service
  • ESBC Planning Delivery
  • ESBC Environmental Health
  • Health and Safety Executive (where the premises is enforced by the HSE)
  • Trading Standards
  • Enforcement Team
  • Public Health
  • Home Office Immigration
  • Advertise in local paper
Please see above as dependent of Non-domestic Rateable Value

How long will it take to process my application?

The Licensing Authority will endeavour to acknowledge receipt of your application within five working days.

If no representations are made to the application the licence will be granted on expiry of the consultation period.

If relevant representations are made the application will be referred to the Licensing Sub Committee for consideration. The applicant will be given notice of the hearing date.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

If my application is refused how do I appeal?

Please contact us in the first instance for details of how to appeal.

If an application for a licence is refused the failed applicant can appeal. Appeals are made to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

What if I have a complaint or concern?

If you have a complaint or concern about a Premises Licence please contact us.

General advice

If you are in the UK, advice is available from Consumer Direct.

If you are outside the UK, advice if available from the UK European Consumer Centre.

Licensing Contact

Licensing contact information

  • 01283 508310