Club premises certificate

Private clubs

A Club Premise Licence is required for club premises supplying alcohol or providing regulated entertainment to its members and their guests. No personal licence will be required to supply alcohol at a Club Premises and there is no need to have a designated premises supervisor.

To be classified as a qualifying club in relation to a qualifying club activity, a number of general conditions must be met. These are:

  • That under the rules of the club, persons may not be admitted to membership, or be admitted, as candidates for membership, to any of the privileges of membership without an interval of at least two days between their nomination for membership and their admission
  • That under the rules of the club, those becoming members without prior nomination or application may not be admitted to the privileges of membership without an interval of at least two days between their becoming members and their admission
  • That the club is established and conducted in good faith as a club
  • That the club has at least 25 members
  • That alcohol is not supplied to members on the premises otherwise than by or on behalf of the club

The application should be made to the licensing authority in which the premise is situated and must be accompanied by the following:

  • an operating schedule
  • a plan of the premises
  • a fee (based on the rateable value of the premises)

The Council will grant a Club Premises Certificate unless there is conflict with the four licensing objectives. The Council can also impose conditions on a Club Premises Certificate to promote the licensing objectives.

Local residents, ward Councillors, MPs, MEPs, residents and business associations may make representations to the Council about the grant of, or a change to a Club Premises Certificate. If representations (objections) are made about either granting or changing the Certificate in any way, the matter will be heard by the Council’s Licensing Committee for a decision to be made. Representations will not be considered if they are irrelevant or vexations.

A Club Premises Certificate will last indefinitely unless it is granted for a limited period or is surrendered or revoked. There is no renewal procedure, however an annual fee is payable to the licensing authority.

How much will it cost?

Please see our licensing fees page.

Electronic Applications:

The online facility is only available for Temporary Event Notices therefore the below forms can be submitted to us by email. Once the form has been received we can then take payment by credit/debit card over the telephone.  Once payment has been taken and the application is in order, we will forward to all responsible authorities.

Written Applications:

How long will it take to process my application?

The Licensing Authority will endeavour to acknowledge receipt of your application within five working days.

If no representations are made to the application the certificate will be granted on expiry of the consultation period.

If relevant representations are made the application will be referred to the Licensing and Gambling Sub Committee for consideration. The applicant will be given notice of the hearing date.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

If my application is refused how do I appeal?

Please contact us in the first instance for details of how to appeal.

If an application for a certificate is refused the failed applicant can appeal. Appeals are made to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

What if I have a complaint or concern?

If you have a complaint or concern about a Club Premises Certificate please contact us.

General advice

If you are in the UK, advice is available from adviceguide

If you are outside the UK, advice if available from the UK European Consumer Centre.

Can I view a public register on line?

No. The register is available for inspection in person, by appointment only, at Millers Lane, Burton upon Trent. Alternatively, requests can be made for extracts of the register to be sent via post or e-mail. However a charge may be made for this service.

Licensing Contact

Licensing contact information

  • 01283 508310