There are a wide variety of homes to buy in East Staffordshire.
Some homes in Burton and Uttoxeter are comparatively cheap and attractive to first time buyers, but there is also a large choice of higher cost housing which is attractive to higher earners.
Estate agents covering properties in East Staffordshire can be found in:
- Burton upon Trent
- Stafford (for houses in and around Kingstone and Admaston)
- Lichfield (for houses in and around Yoxall and Abbots Bromley)
- Ashbourne (for houses in and around Mayfield)
There are also websites that provide sales information.
There are a number of schemes designed to help you buy yourself a home. More information about these is provided in the sections below:
Help to Buy Equity Loan Scheme
The Help to Buy Equity Loan Scheme lends you 10-20% of the value of a brand new home, and you pay no interest on this for the first 5 years. You need to be able to pay a deposit of 5% and to secure a mortgage for the balance.
The scheme is open to existing home owners as well as to first time buyers. For more information about local availability contact Help to Buy Midlands or phone 03458 50 20 50 Option 2. For information about the scheme see Help to Buy Equity Loan.
Low cost home ownership
There is general information about affordable home ownership on the government website, GOV.UK
Shared ownership means you buy between 25% and 75% of the value of a home and pay rent to a housing provider on the remainder. Advantages include:
- Smaller deposit
- Smaller mortgage
- Some properties may be brand new
- Others are re-sales which means they are cheaper, but they will still be recently built
- An affordable way to get your foot on the housing ladder
- If the value of your home increases then the value of your share increases
- As and when you can afford to, you can buy extra shares of the property, and in most cases you can end up owning the whole of your home so that you no longer have to pay any rent
- You can choose to sell if and when you want to move
Shared ownership housing is often advertised through mainstream estate agents, so it is worth searching on-line and asking agents about availability. Also see Trent & Dove Shared Ownership and Orbit help to buy.
Discounted sale housing may sometimes become available, particularly in rural areas. This is housing which can only be sold at a discount, so you can buy it more cheaply, but then you can only sell it at the same discount. This housing is advertised through estate agents.
Be aware that some mortgages cannot be used for shared ownership or discounted sale purchase; speak to your mortgage advisor about available options.
Help to Buy Mortgages
Help to Buy Mortgages lend up to 95% of the value of a home (95% LTV) because the Government provides the lender with a partial guarantee. Mortgages can be used to buy existing homes as well as brand new homes. For more details see Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee.
Housing for Older People
See Housing for older people to find out about different housing options including specialised housing for sale.