Charities and rural settlements

Charities, charity shops and Registered Community Amateur Sports Clubs

If the property is used wholly or mainly for charitable purposes, or is occupied by either

  • An institution or organisation established for charitable purposes only
  • Charities need to be registered by the Charity Commission
  • People administering a trust established for charitable purposes only
  • A Registered Community Amateur Sports Club

You are automatically entitled to 80% reduction on your bill but you will need to apply to us to make sure you receive it. In the case of charity shops, the property must be wholly or mainly used for the sale of goods donated to a charity and the proceeds of sale of the goods must (after deduction of expenses) be applied for the purposes of a charity.

We also have the discretion to decide to further reduce the amount you have to pay - or even reduce the bill to zero. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

Download the Charitable and Discretionary Relief form

Not a charity, but another type of non-profit-making organisation

Although you have no automatic entitlement, we may decide to give you relief or reduce your bill to zero. Your organisation must be non-profit-making and the property it occupies must be used for charitable, philanthropic or religious purposes or concerned with education, social welfare, science, literature or the fine arts. Or the property must be used by a non-profit-making organisation wholly or mainly for the purpose of recreation.

Download the Charitable and Discretionary Relief form.

Qualifying Rural Settlements with a population of under 3000

Please note that with effect from the revaluation on 1st April 2010 the rateable value thresholds for this relief have increased. The figures in brackets refer to the limits which applied from 1st April 2005 until 31st March 2010.

1. You are entitled to a 50% reduction in the rates bill - or up to the full 100% if we feel you need it - if you are:

  • The only village general store or post office, as long as it has a rateable value of less than £8,500 (£7,000)
  • A food shop with a rateable value of less than £8,500 (£7,000)
  • The only village pub or the only petrol station (rateable value of less than £12,500 (£10,500)).

2. In addition if you are a business in a qualifying rural village with a rateable value of less than £16,500 (£14,000) We may decide to give you up to 100% relief if your business is of benefit to the local community. The decision rests with us.

We can provide you with the qualifying settlements list for your area.

Download the Rate Relief in Rural Settlements form and return it to

Business Rates team

Business Rates team contact information

  • (01283) 508030

Revenues Team
PO Box 8045
Burton upon Trent
DE14 9JG
United Kingdom