A trained obedient dog is usually a happy, contented dog. Dog owners have a responsibility to their dog to ensure that their dog is happy, socialised and well trained.
There are a number of dog training methods and it is important to find the right method for you and your dog.
Dog training classes are a great place to help train and socialise your dog and also for you to meet like minded people. Before enrolling with a dog training club it is important that you attend a session to decide whether this is the right type of training for you.
Things that are worth considering include:
- Are the trainers friendly and welcoming and are the people attending happy and seem to be enjoying themselves?
- Are the dogs happy and focused on their owners?
- Is the environment controlled and safe?
- Are the instructors giving a lot of help and advice to the group?
Good Citizen Dog Scheme
This is the largest dog training scheme in the UK and is run by the Kennel Club. The aim of the scheme is to promote responsible dog ownership and enhance your relationship with your pet.
Specific Dog Training
Where dogs are generally well trained but have specific problem areas then you may need to seek advice from a dog trainer or behaviourist.
The following behaviours may need specialist training:
- Aggression towards other dogs
- Fears and anxieties of any sort
- General bad manners (jumping up, noise, chasing cats)
- Pulling on lead
Dog Activities and Events
There are numerous activities and events that you can enjoy with your dog. There are generally 7 different main activities; agility, breed showing, Field trials and working gundogs, flyball, heelwork to music, obedience and working trials.