Emergency planning

East Staffordshire Borough Council is a Category 1 responder as defined in the Civil Contingencies Act 2004. Accordingly, this council works closely in Staffordshire with the Civil  Contingencies Unit, emergency services, other local authorities, health authorities and various other organisations.

The requirements of the legislation cover such aspects as:

  • Information Sharing
  • Risk Assessments
  • Emergency Planning
  • Business Continuity Management
  • Communicating with the Public
  • Working with the Voluntary Sector
  • Audit and Monitoring

Risk assessment is the first step in the emergency planning process. It enables response organisations to make plans that are sound and proportionate to the risks that exist in their local area.

In the Staffordshire area a multi-agency approach (under the guidance of a Local Resilience Forum) has been adopted for the risk assessment work that has been undertaken and this process has engaged a wide range of stakeholders and partner organisations.

East Staffordshire Borough Council has a suite of emergency plans which document its response and recovery arrangements in order to respond to emergencies or incidents in the Borough, or which impact upon the Borough.

The Council works closely with other responding agencies to ensure joined-up response arrangements.

For more information contact us on the details below:

East Staffordshire Borough Council's Principal Democratic Services Officer | 01283 508306

Staffordshire Civil Contingencies Unit | 01785 898618

Or see the Staffordshire Prepared website.

Emergency Telephone

(01283) 517111 - For out-of-hours emergencies only

The Borough Council provides an Emergency Telephone number, (01283) 517111, for out-of-hours emergencies in the Borough.  The Emergency Telephone is used by residents to report emergencies only, (such as lost and found dogs, pollution incidents, flooding, problems in parks and car parks and many others). In some cases the caller may be referred to another organisation, e.g. South Staffordshire Water, Severn Trent Water, County Highways or the Environment Agency.