Home > Building consultancy > Street naming and numbering > Can I name/change the name of my house?

Can I name/change the name of my house?

If your house has a number in the address, you can add a property name without contacting the Council although you would be wise to do so.

The name chosen must not be the same or similar to any other property name in the area as this may cause confusion for the postal or emergency services. The name will not form part of the registered address and you are still required to use the house number in your address and to display the number on the property in a position where it can be clearly seen from the road.

The changing of house or property names is not recommended, however in certain circumstances owners may wish to pursue this course. If your house has a number as part of its address it is likely, but not certain, that the name is not part of the official registered address. Names are usually only registered to identify a property if the property has no number.

In the case of an address where there is no number allocated, the name will form part of the official registered address. If therefore you wish to change the name of the property you must put your request to the Council in writing, giving the present full address and stating clearly the requested new name.

We will check our records and contact the Royal Mail to see if they have a record of any similar names in the same postal district that may lead to confusion. If these checks do not reveal any problems the new name will be registered and you will be advised of the date when you should begin to use it. If there is a clash of names you will be asked to suggest another.

We will inform the Royal Mail, Council Departments, essential service providers and the emergency services of the change of address but it will be up to you to advise your friends, banks, etc to use the new name.