Make a claim for housing benefit

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit provides help towards rent for people on low incomes.

People who own their own homes or have a mortgage are not allowed to claim Housing Benefit but can claim Council Tax Reduction.

Am I able to claim?

Universal Credit Full Service will be introduced fully into East Staffordshire from the 21.11.2018 and will affect certain new claims to benefit from this day. If you are making a claim for Housing Benefit/ or Council Tax reduction prior to this date then please complete the East Staffordshire Borough Council online claim form.

If you are a pensioner you are not affected by Universal Credit and you can make a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

If you need help with your rent and neither you or any partner is not of pension age then you will need to claim Universal Credit unless you fall into any of the following groups

  • You have three or more dependent children, or
  • You are living in Specified Accommodation (and you need care, support or supervision), or
  • You have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Council, or
  • You pay ground rent or live in a tent

If you fall into the above groups then please use our online form to make a Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction claim.

If you are not in one of the above groups then you will need to make two separate claims, one for help with your Council Tax and one for help with your rent. Make your Council Tax reduction claim and then go to our Universal Credit page for advice on how to claim Universal Credit.

How do I make a claim for Housing Benefit?

You can make a housing benefit claim online.

If you need help in making your claim online, please visit our Customer Services Centre, Market Place, Burton upon Trent or at Uttoxeter Library.

Your application for Housing Benefit will be completed electronically.

What Evidence do I need to bring with me?

We will need to see original documents to support your claim. The table below details what evidence is acceptable in support of your claim.

Requirement Evidence Types
Identity for you and your partner Birth certificate, marriage certificate, current passport, medical card, driving licence in photo-card format, UK residence permit, EEC identity card, letter from government department.
National insurance number for you and your partner National insurance number card, P60, payslips or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
Capital, savings and investments for you and your partner. If you are working age and your capital is below £5,500 then you will not need to provide evidence.
If you are of pension age and your capital is below £9,500 then you will not need to provide evidence.

If your savings exceed these limits then you will need to provide proof, for example your building society book, bank books, bank statements etc.

The proof you send must cover the two months before your claim and show transactions for that period. If you bank online, we can accept printouts (not ATM printouts) showing transactions for the last two months.

Earnings for you, your partner and other adults living with you. The last five payslips if paid every week, the last three payslips if paid every two weeks, or the last two payslips if paid every month. If you have recently started work a letter from your employer outlining your estimated earnings is acceptable or the first wage slip you receive. Further wage slips will be requested when you have received them.
Self-employed earnings for you and your partner Accounts for the last financial year or, if you have been trading for less than six months, details of your trading records so far.
Alternatively you can complete a self-employed application form which will be supplied when your application is being made. Please note every self-employed application form needs to be signed.
Other income for you, your partner and other adults living with you. Pension slips from a former employer, or a letter from the court showing how much maintenance is being received. We need to see evidence of any money people pay you for board and lodgings, and the income of any non-dependants that reside in your house.
Benefits, allowances or pensions for you, your partner and other adults living with you. Current award notices or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) confirming how much is received. The Housing Benefit Department can obtain this information if you cannot find your award notice.
Proof of Rental Liability A rent book; rent receipts; a tenancy agreement; a letter from your landlord
Other money paid out Letters about student contributions or maintenance agreements.
Child care costs Receipts of the child care costs you pay. They must show the costs, times and the name of the person providing the care.
Student status for you, your partner and other adults living with you. Evidence of term time dates of study and grants/loans or other funding received.

How much benefit will I receive?

The amount of benefit paid is determined by your personal circumstances, your income and also your household. The Housing Benefit calculator can give you an estimate of how much you may be entitled to before you claim.

Once your claim has been received, it will be processed and you will receive a notification letter explaining your entitlement and the details used in the calculation.