Home > Taxis and private hire > Reporting an accident or damaged vehicle

Reporting an accident or damaged vehicle

Coronavirus: Licensing - Taxis

You should wear a face covering when using taxis or private hire vehicles. A taxi driver or private hire vehicle operator may be entitled to refuse to accept you if you do not wear a face covering.

The risk of transmission is small at 2 metres and where possible, you should maintain 2 metres distance.

If you cannot keep a 2 metre distance, reduce the risk to yourself and others by maintaining a 1 metre distance where possible, and taking suitable precautions.

Follow the advice of the driver. For example, you may be asked to sit in the back left-hand seat if travelling alone. You may want to check with your taxi or private hire operator before travelling if they have put any additional measures in place.

You should use contactless payment if possible, or find out if you can pay online in advance.

Be aware of the surfaces you touch. Be careful not to touch your face. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or the inside of your elbow when coughing or sneezing.

When finishing your journey wash your hands for at least 20 seconds or sanitise your hands as soon as possible.

The procedure for the reporting of accidents/vehicle damage is outlined below:

  • The proprietor must inform the licensing authority within 72 hours if a vehicle has been involved in an accident or sustained damage, in all instances an ‘Accident Report Form’ must be completed.  (An accident report form can now be completed & submitted on-line also).
  • The Proprietor will then have 5 working days to produce an accident damage slip from a council appointed testing station confirming the roadworthiness of the vehicle. (Please note only original accident damage slips will be accepted)
  • If the vehicle is not roadworthy plates must be returned to the licensing office for the licence to be suspended until the repairs have been completed. 
  • The Proprietor of the vehicle can only apply to licence a vehicle from a hire company vehicle if the vehicle is not in a roadworthy condition and is suspended.
  • The Proprietor will then have 8 weeks from the date of the accident to have the repair works carried out. If repairs are not carried out within the 8 weeks a letter from the insurance company is required giving an explanation as to why the vehicle has not been repaired. 
  • Once the vehicle has been repaired it will then need to be re-inspected by a Council appointed testing station to confirm that the repair work is satisfactory. Another slip will be given to the Proprietor, which must be submitted to the Licensing Office upon production of this document the suspension will be lifted.

Whilst an accident report can be submitted online, an appointment will still need to be made with the office to bring in accident damage/repair slips and vehicle plates where a vehicle is no longer roadworthy.

Failure to either return the plates, produce an accident slip or have the repair work carried out in the required time may result in enforcement action being taken.

Submit an accident report form

Submit your report form