For the safety and protection of the public to drive a private hire vehicle in the East Staffordshire Borough Council area you must hold a valid private hire driver licence issued by us.
A verbal test will be carried out at your appointment prior to the submission of your application.
Application form & guidance notes
- Application Form
- Apply for DBS disclosure (link to firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment)
- Medical form
- Appendix A - Procedure for Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Driver's Licence Application
- Appendix D - Driver's Dress Code
- Appendix E - Guidelines on the relevance of convictions
- Appendix F - Conditions of Private Hire Driver's Licence
- Appendix Z - Enforcement Intervention Scheme
- The Knowledge Test
- Information for applicants taking the driving test and the wheelchair accessible test
- Child restraints & seatbelts leaflets
- CSE Leaflet
Apply for a combined driver's licence
Please note that if you wish to apply for combined driver's licence you will need to download all of the above documents as well as Appendix G - Hackney Carriage Byelaws.
- DBS disclosure application form
- current DVLA Driving Licence (original, not a copy), both the paper and photocard parts
- original EEA passport; or original British birth certificate and evidence of National Insurance number (P45, P60 NI card)
- one recent utility bill stating your name and address less than 3 months old (gas, electric, bank or credit card statement)
- a medical report completed by your own doctor.
To qualify as a driver you must:
- have held a British DVLA licence for at least 12 months
- have no relevant convictions or been determined by the General Licensing Sub Committee to be a fit and proper person
- be medically fit
- pass a driving skills assessment with Road Safety Team
- pass a knowledge and conditions test
Validity & renewals
Please contact Taxi Licensing in the first instance.