East Staffordshire Sports Scholarship Award Scheme
Fund for Performers and Coaches
To recognise and encourage aspiring sports performers and performance level coaches, who live within the Borough of East Staffordshire
- Aged under 25 on 31st August 2016 and have shown signs of significant improvement in performance at regional level or above or achieved top place finishes in National Competition
- Ages under 25 on 31st August 2016 and have achieved International Honours or attended International Competitions recognised by Sport England or are ranked in the top 10 nationally
- Aged under 2 on 31st August 2016 and have been selected to compete in National teams/squads or have a national 10 ranking
- Applications are welcomed from those aged over 25 who have been selected to compete or are competing in National teams/squads or have a national top 10 ranking
- Elite level performance coaches who coach athletes who have achieved at regional level or above during 2016
- Performers must reside in East Staffordshire and do so for more than six months of the year
- Performers must compete in a sport recognised by Sport England
- Written evidence is supplied to support the application from a relevant National Governing Body representative
- Relevant and up to date photo's or video's footage of the performer in action and at medal ceremony's should be supplied
- All application should be submitted by the deadline, with no exceptions
- All applications will be judged on the information provided on the application from, so please make your application as comprehensive as possible.
Sports Scholarship Nominations
Along side the Scholarship Awards there is a number of awards that recognise the achievement of individuals, who have shown dedication or excelled in their chosen sport as a volunteer, coach or work behind the scenes to help a sports club run smoothly.
Do you know any local voluntary sports men, women or young person that make a contribution to sport?
Do you know of a local sports performer, who has excelled in their chosen sport?
If the answer is yes to either of these, then why not nominate them for an East Staffordshire Sport Award. Nominations will be sort for:
- Junior Team of the Year
- Senior Team of the Year
- Coach of the Year
- Junior Volunteer of the Year
- Administrator of the Year
- Disabled Performer of the Year
- Junior Sports Person of the Year
- Sports Personality of the Year
- Sports Unsung Hero
Nominations can be made by any individual who can comment on an individuals or teams outstanding contribution in one of the above sports awards categories. Making a nomination provides a great opportunity for their efforts and achievements to be celebrated and recognised.
2016 Sports Scholarship Award Winners
Tug of War
White Water Rafting
Downhill Mountain Biking
Main Award Winners
Consolidated Charities of Burton upon Trent Disabled Performer of the Year - Rebecca Bedford, Current World Number 1 and World Champion Para badminton player
Young Volunteer of the Year - Burton Rugby Club Young Ambassadors, who have been volunteering for the past 18 months and have further projects planned for this coming year
‘Ted Smith’ Junior Team of the Year in pursuit of excellence - Oldfield’s Hall Middle School U 13’s Girls Rugby Team, who won Bronze in the National Schools final at Twickenham
Star Foundation Junior Sports Person of the Year - Ellie Scott, Heart of England Elite Taekwondo Squad and current U18 hyper weight Kick Boxing world champion
East Staffordshire Sports Council Administrator of the Year - Steve Morrison, for leading on the development of the New Astro Turf pitch at Shobnall which is now the home of Burton Hockey Club
Consolidated Charities of Burton upon Trent Sports Coach of the Year - Glyn Bennett, Barton Rugby Club Junior Chairman and Club Coach who has developed the clubs Junior Section to have a team playing each age group
J & O Lloyd Trust Senior Team of the Year - Rolleston Cricket Club, for promotion to the Derbyshire Premier League for the first time in the clubs history
Hilton at St Georges Park Sport Person of the Year - James Gardner, Weightlifter and member of the Burton Powerhouse Gym national League Winning Team, All round World Champion in the men’s 100 Kilo class and finished 2nd overall in the champion of champions rankings from all lifters in the 2015 World Championships.
‘Vic Roebuck’ Memorial Trophy for Sports Un-Sung Hero’s - Ian Shooter, Founder member of Denstone Sports Trust and Wootton Cricket Club who has been volunteering for over 30 years
2017 Sports Scholarship Awards
Application and Nomination forms for the 2017 Sports Scholarship Awards Evening are now available to download by clicking on the links below. Hard Copies of the forms will be available to pick up in Leisure Centres and Customer Service Centres.
For further information please contact Emma Arena on, 01283 508192 or email@example.com
Once again, there are also opportunities for Local Businesses to get involved with sponsoring the East Staffordshire Sport Scholarships Awards.
The minimum sponsorship of £300 will allow you to become the named sponsor of a Main Award, alongside supporting local athletes and coaches to assist in their continued development and elite level performance.
Sponsors of the East Staffordshire Sports Scholarship Awards are offered the following benefits:
- High profile recognition in the local press and on social media
- An invitation to attend and present the sponsored award at the annual Sports Scholarship Presentation Evening, accompanying the Borough’s dignitaries.
- Acknowledgement and recognition on the night and inclusion within publications associated with the Awards Scheme.
- Opportunities to be associated with High Profile Sports Personalities.
For more information on how to sponsor an award, please contact Emma Arena on firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01283 508192
Alternatively you can submit a form online.