Home > Planning > Do I need planning permission? > Householder permission > Do I need planning permission?

Do I need planning permission?

Coronavirus: Planning

The Planning and Local Land Charges department are currently working off site. The preferred method of contact is via email at dcsupport@eaststaffsbc.gov.uk.

Other ESBC services affected by Coronavirus

You have 3 options to help determine whether or not you require planning permission:-

  • You can review the National Planning guidance on the Planning Portal website via the Interactive House (free advice service). You will also find a list of common projects on this page; some have mini guides and case studies which you may find useful to review.
  • You can complete our planning enquiry form for householders developments. We will confirm in writing based on what you have told us, whether or not you require planning permission for the proposed development (A £35 charge is applied for this service).
  • You can complete a certificate of lawful development for a proposed use, which provides formal confirmation of the requirement for permission. (A National Fee of £103 is applied for this service).

Access our online mapping facility to check whether a property is within a conservation area, article 4 area, a listed building, view live planning applications or refer to planning history for an address. There are sometimes further restrictions in the form of conditions placed on earlier planning permissions, for example barn conversions and the use of garages which should be clarified prior to carrying out any alterations.

Certain forms of development are permitted without a requirement to make a specific planning application. These are known as permitted developments.

If you require any further help or assistance e-mail: dcsupport@eaststaffsbc.gov.uk or telephone 01283 508606 and speak to one of the planning support staff.