If you have established that you need planning permission, you will need to decide how you wish to apply.
To apply for planning permission you can either:
- Apply online using the planning portal website
- Download and print an application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to East Staffordshire Borough Council, Development Control, P.O. Box 8045, Burton upon Trent, DE14 9JG
Submitting your application through the planning portal has the following benefits:
- you do not need to provide multiple copies of the application, saving printing costs
- no postage costs as you can also pay your fee online
- your details can be saved for future use
- you can also keep the submission in draft until you are fully ready to submit your application
- 24 hour service access
You will also need to refer to our local and national validation documents which identifies what information you will require in order to make a valid planning submission. If you require assistance completing the planning application form or any other guidance please contact us.
Please be aware that you may also require building regulation approval. For further information please contact the building consultancy team by emailing email@example.com or calling (01283) 508609.
Pre application guidance
Before making a request for pre-application advice it is advisable to check whether planning permission is required.
If you wish to take advantage of our pre-application advice service, simply fill out the pre-application advice form and email it together with your supporting plans, photos etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org and pay the appropriate fee. The fee can be paid by:
Post: Submitting a cheque to East Staffordshire Borough Council, PO Box 8045, Burton upon Trent, DE14 9JG,
Telephone: Using a debit or credit card by phoning (01283) 508606. Please note the form will need to be submitted before making a telephone payment.
Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Economic Partnership - Agreed Principles for Pre-Application Advice
The Local Planning Authority, in its role within the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Economic Partnership (GBSLEP), has signed up to the following principles in respect of pre-application advice. The objective of these principles is to provide consistency amongst the GBSLEP authorities in terms of service standards and expectations, embracing best practice as agreed between participating Local Planning Authorities and developers. Within the context of these agreed principles, East Staffordshire Borough Council is in the process of reviewing its pre-application advice service and will be publicising its new procedures in due course.
- Published service standards easily accessible on websites.
- An opportunity to get an initial steer on the principle of development is available without requiring detailed information at this stage.
- Thereafter advice is tailored to scale and complexity of proposals including involvement of officers of appropriate seniority/experience.
- For businesses, planning and economic development advice is co-ordinated.
- Timescales, inputs, outputs and (where appropriate) charges are explained at the outset.
- Members are engaged early in the process, particularly on proposals raising difficult policy judgements.
- Information/validation, policy requirements and known development constraints are all covered in the process.
- The requirements of statutory consultees and any internal specialists within LPAs (e.g. conservation, landscape, transport, ecology, environmental protection, affordable housing) are taken into account where relevant.
- Advice is always confirmed in writing.
- Opportunity for customer feedback is given.