Improving your home
Heating and Insulation
If your home is cold or expensive to heat see heating and insulation for information about schemes which could help you.
Care & Repair
The care and repair service offers practical advice and and guidance to older home owners and people with disabilities who need help to repair/ improve or adapt their homes. Care and Repair staff will:
- Survey your home and advise you on repairs needed
- Arrange grants and loans if applicable
- Put you in touch with a reliable builder
- Oversee the work as it is carried out
- Help you through every stage until the work is finished
- Give energy efficiency advice.
Examples of repairs and improvements that can be done under the Care and Repair Service:
- Minor repairs and rewiring
- Central heating installation
- Replacement bathrooms and kitchens
- Roofing work and loft insulation
- Structure repairs
- Damp proof course and dry rot treatment
- Drainage repairs
- Replacement windows, double glazing
- Lifeline telephone alarm systems
For further details contact Orbit Care & Repair telephone 01283 497414.
If you own your own home outright but cannot afford repairs or improvements, equity release is a potential solution. There are various providers including Age UK.
Grants for disabled facilities
If you or someone living in your property has a disability and your home needs adapting to enable you to continue living there you may qualify for a disabled facilities grant from the Council towards the cost of providing the adaptations and facilities.
The following organisations approve traders who carry out repairs and improvements:
- Trustmark - Government endorsed trader register
- Trader Register - Staffordshire's register of traders
Consumer Direct has a number of fact sheets on home improvement including 'Finding a Trader' and 'What to do if things go wrong'.
If you require any further information please contact:
Housing Standards Team
Tel: 01283 508680