Improving your home

Heating and Insulation

If your home is cold or expensive to heat see heating and insulation for information about schemes which could help you.

Care & Repair

The care and repair service offers practical advice and and guidance to older home owners and people with disabilities who need help to repair/ improve or adapt their homes. Care and Repair staff will:

  • Survey your home and advise you on repairs needed
  • Arrange grants and loans if applicable
  • Put you in touch with a reliable builder
  • Oversee the work as it is carried out
  • Help you through every stage until the work is finished
  • Give energy efficiency advice.

Examples of repairs and improvements that can be done under the Care and Repair Service:

  • Minor repairs and rewiring
  • Central heating installation
  • Replacement bathrooms and kitchens
  • Roofing work and loft insulation
  • Structure repairs
  • Damp proof course and dry rot treatment
  • Drainage repairs
  • Replacement windows, double glazing
  • Lifeline telephone alarm systems

For further details contact Orbit Care & Repair telephone 01283 497414.

Equity Release

If you own your own home outright but cannot afford repairs or improvements, equity release is a potential solution. There are various providers including Age UK.

Grants for disabled facilities

If you or someone living in your property has a disability and your home needs adapting to enable you to continue living there you may qualify for a disabled facilities grant from the Council towards the cost of providing the adaptations and facilities.

Approved Traders

The following organisations approve traders who carry out repairs and improvements:

Consumer Direct has a number of fact sheets on home improvement including 'Finding a Trader' and 'What to do if things go wrong'.

If you require any further information please contact:

Housing Standards Team
Tel: 01283 508680