Home > Housing and property > Your home > Funding for Heating and insulation

Funding for Heating and insulation

Keeping warm

It is important to keep warm while the weather is cold.

If you are a tenant, your landlord should provide you with adequate heating.

Your landlord is responsible for keeping the installations for space and water heating in repair and proper working order.

You should notify your landlord of a problem as soon as possible, and you have to give them a reasonable time to do the repair.

A good landlord will provide you with emergency heating such as portable electric heaters until such time as the problem is fixed. You can also buy your own portable heating.

Staffordshire Warmer Homes

See if you're eligible for funding

New funding is available to help install first time central heating to to eligible homes across Staffordshire. Successful applicants can have a brand new fully funded central heating system installed in their home which can save households up to £350 each year off their annual fuel bill.

Owner occupiers and private landlords / tenants can apply. To qualify, householders need to be in receipt of benefits OR meet the council's ECO eligibility criteria.

If you require any further information please contact

Housing Standards Team
Tel: 01283 508680
Email: housing@eaststaffsbc.gov.uk

Why improve your home insulation

If your home is poorly insulated you are wasting energy and that is costing you money.

The older your home the more inefficient it is likely to be at keeping heat in.

Insulating your loft could put £104 back in your pocket each year. Just stopping the drafts can cut fuel bills by £100. If you insulate your hot water cylinder or install improved heating controls you can save even more.

Replacing single glazed windows with double glazing will save, on average, £41 per year.

The Energy Saving Trust has lots of advice about energy efficiency. Your energy supplier(s) will also have ways to help you.

Free insulation and new boilers - the ECO scheme

Free insulation and new boilers are available under the Government's ECO scheme to both home owners and private sector tenants.

Under the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Help to Heat flexible eligibility, certain energy suppliers are able to use up to 10% of their ECO Affordable Warmth Obligation to help install energy saving measures in properties that have been declared eligible by local authorities.

East Staffordshire Borough Council has therefore extended the eligibility criteria for this scheme, please read the Statement of Intent for more information.  

The Green Deal

The Green Deal is the Government's scheme to enable anyone to improve the insulation and heating in their home without paying for the improvements up front.

The way it works is:

  • You have the improvements carried out without paying for them;
  • The improvements reduce the amount of energy you use and hence deliver savings on your energy bills
  • A small amount to gradually pay for the works is added to the energy bills on the property to gradually pay for the works. This amount is less than the expected savings - this is called the "Golden Rule"
  • Your energy bills should always be lower than beforehand
  • If you move home, the new occupier continues to pay for the improvements through the energy bills on the property because they then get the benefit of them
  • If you move you stop paying for the improvements

The scheme is available on rented homes as well as owner-occupied homes provided both the occupier and the landlord agree.

Switch to cheaper energy

It is worth checking if you can save money by switching to a cheaper deal; use one of the OFGEM approved comparison Websites.

If you have a pre-payment meter you can still switch to a different supplier, even if you have debt on the meter of up to £500.

If you pay your landlord for energy then the landlord chooses the supplier, so you could ask your landlord to check that they are on the best deal.

If you don't have a pre-payment meter then the cheapest deals typically involve paying the same amount each month by direct debit, which also helps with budgeting.