The Landlords Forum
Date: Thursday, September 20th, 2018 - Burton Town Hall, King Edward Place, DE14 2EB
Presentations at the Forum
National Landlords Association - Update
Our new National Landlords Association representative has an update including an overview of
- Government Ministerial Changes
- New 'How to' Guides
- GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
- Legal Proposals: 3-Year Tenancies, Tenant Fees, Fitness and Changes to Notice Requirements
- Houses in Multiple Occupation
Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation
The Council's Environmental Health Manager sets out the new requirements beginning in October and the implications for landlords
Landlord Support Package
The Housing Options Team can now provide a new Landlord Support Package for specific clients of service.
Speakers and Events
The Council is keen to hear from any providers of services to landlords who would like to share their expertise in the form of a general talk to the Landlords Forum. For example, if you offer legal, financial or management services to landlords and are able to share insights that landlords could benefit from at the Landlords Forum, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com to arrange a date.
Do we have your correct email address?
We can send you an invitation to the Landlords Forum if we have your correct email address. If you are not currently receiving invitations to the Forum, please send a request email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information for landlords
The Council's website has useful information for landlords and tenants. We also seek to help landlords by hosting Landlords Forums where you can tell us about the issues that concern you, hear from relevant and interesting speakers, and network with other local landlords and agents.
Subjects Covered at Past Forums and Information Circulars to Landlords
The following are examples of agenda items from previous forums and information circulars to landlords. Some cover basic responsibilities of both tenants and landlords (see also our web page on information for landlords ). Others such as talks on tax issues will help you to better protect your interests as a landlord.
- Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard - talk from the Environmental Health Team
- Successful Repossession Claims - presentations from practising solicitors
- General Data Protection Regulation overview
- Selective Licensing Scheme - proposal, implementation and updates
- Electrical Safety and Portable Appliance Testing
- Avoiding Deposit Disputes
- Universal Credit - latest information for landlords (presentations from DWP officers with updates as implementation progresses)
- Energy Best Deal
- Changes to Tenancy Law
- Fire Regulations
- Managing Drug Problems
- The Right to Rent
- Tax issues for Landlords
- National Landlords Association - News and Updates
- The Finances of Letting Property
- Legionnaires Disease and legislation
- Letting Agents Redress Scheme
- Illegal Eviction and Harassment
- Tenant Referencing
- The Green Deal and Energy Company Obligation
As a landlord, you can ask the council to pay a tenant's housing benefit to yourself (or your agent):
- on grounds that the tenant is vulnerable
- if the tenant is 2 months behind with rent
- if you have reduced the rent to make it affordable to the tenant.
To make such a request complete the form and send it to Housing Benefits, East Staffordshire Borough Council, The Town Hall, King Edward Place Burton upon Trent, DE14 2EB. For more information speak to housing benefits on 01283 508422
If you wish to discuss any aspect of being a landlord the please contact our Landlord Relationship Manager:-
Tel (01283) 508149