The vast majority of insect species do not cause a nuisance and are essential in maintaining ecosystems. However, there are some insect species that can cause a nuisance in sufficient quantities or seasonably.
Insects emanating from any business premise have the potential to cause a statutory nuisance or be prejudicial to health.
Likely sources of insect nuisance:
- Poultry houses/farm buildings
- Sewage treatment works
- Manure/silage stores
- Animal housing
- Landfill sites/refuse tips
- Waste transfer premises
- Commercial, trade or business premises e.g. kitchen areas
- Slaughter houses
- Used car tyre recycling businesses/scrap yards
There are however certain premises that are excluded from this new legislation:
- Land used as arable, grazing, meadow or pasture land
- Land used as osier land, reed beds or woodland
- Land used for market gardens, nursery grounds or orchards
- Land forming part of an agricultural unit (but not covered by (a) to (c) and which is of a description specified in regulations
- Land included in a site of special scientific interest
What is our complaint procedure?
Download the Insect flowchart for details of our complaint procedure.
Submit a complaint
Having read the complaint leaflet above, if you feel the problem has the potential to cause a Statutory Nuisance, please complete the complaint form or contact the Pollution Team.