Health and hygiene training

We offer nutrition and food safety training.

All courses costs £52 including VAT which includes tuition and examination fees, course handbook, lunch and refreshments.

All courses are held at the Meadowside Leisure Centre, High Street, Burton upon Trent, DE14 1TL. If you would like to attend either course, please call us on 01283 508578.

Nutrition Training

We are running the Level 2 Healthier Foods and Special Diets, which is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH). This one day course will provide a good basic knowledge and understanding of nutrition, healthy food and diet and will explain the links between diet and health.

The course will help you to prepare nutritious, well balanced meals, and develop healthy recipes to provide healthy food options. It is aimed at anyone who would like to learn more about nutrition including food business owners, managers, chefs, health workers and members of the public.

Each course ends in a short multiple choice exam and on successful completion you will obtain the CIEH Level 2 Award in Healthier Food and Special Diets which is an accredited nutrition qualification.

If you run a food business, this course (or equivalent) is essential in order to achieve a gold award in the Staffordshire Healthy Options Award Scheme.

What does the course cover?

This qualification provides an introduction to nutrition and covers the following topics:

  • Relationship and balance between nutrition, diet and health
  • Nutritional requirements of different population groups
  • Catering for different population groups
  • Nutrition labelling and food processing
  • Effects of food processing on nutrient content

Upcoming courses

No dates are planned at present, please contact us if you are interested in attending this course and we will let you know when the next date becomes available.

Food safety training

I own a food business - what must I do?

All food business proprietors will have to ensure the following:

  • Food handlers are supervised and instructed and/or trained in food hygiene matters commensurate with their work activities.
  • Those responsible for developing and maintaining procedures based on HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) principles or for the operation of relevant guides must have received adequate training in the application of the HACCP principles. This could be advice received from our Environmental Health Officers on the use of Safer Food, Better Business.

I own a business – do I need training?

It is advised that you and your managers receive an appropriate level of food hygiene training otherwise you will find it difficult to manage food safety within your business.

What responsibilities do I have?

If you run a food business you will be responsible for identifying any training and instruction needs of food handlers. You will have to determine how these are met.

The measures put in to place should ensure that all food handlers have sufficient knowledge and competence to enable them to handle foods safely. What is appropriate in one business may not be appropriate in another.

The nature and type of supervision necessary will depend upon the number of food handlers within the business, the nature of their work and current training and competence levels.

If you have a high turnover of staff effective supervision and instruction will be of particular importance.

Are Food Hygiene Certificates Required?

EC Regulation 852/2004 on food hygiene which came into force on 1 January 2006 does not specify the need to hold a qualification in order to comply. However, it is important that you are able to show that you and your employees are well enough trained to produce safe food

What instruction and/or training is required?

The methods of instruction and/or training are a matter for the business to decide. A course of formal instruction is not stipulated in the regulations. However, we strongly recommend that formal training is given to all employees at a basic level to help them produce safe food and to give evidence of their competency.

Appropriate measures must be taken by the food business owners for food handlers who do not speak English as a first language, have learning difficulties, special educational needs, literacy needs, etc.

Upcoming courses

No dates are planned at present, please contact us if you are interested in attending this course and we will let you know when the next date becomes available.

Other bodies that offer food hygiene training

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health course finder can help you find local course providers or you can try one of the following:

Burton College

The Royal Society for Public Health also accredit courses which can be found at their coursefinder.