Universal credit

What is it?

Universal Credit (UC) is a means-tested benefit, which means the amount you get depends on how much income and capital you've got. Capital means things like savings and some kinds of property. It is a benefit for working age people. You may be able to get Universal Credit if you are working, looking for work, sick or disabled, caring for children or a disabled person.

Universal Credit seeks to bring together 6 current in work and out of work benefits for working age people into one new single benefit and will be administered by Jobcentre Plus.

Universal Credit will replace:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax and Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Budgeting Loans

When does it start in East Staffordshire?

From the beginning of April 2015 Universal Credit has been introduced in the Burton Upon Trent area with the Department of Works and Pensions taking claims for the benefit.

For further information about Universal Credit, please visit the Department for Work and Pensions website www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk