There is a limit on the total amount of benefit that most working age people can get. This is called the benefit cap.
From the 7.11.2016 the amounts of benefit have changed to a maximum of £384.62 a week
- where the household is made up of a couple with or without children, or
- a lone parent where the children you are responsible for live with you
A maximum of £257.69 a week
- where you are a single person and you have no children or the children you have responsibility for don’t live with you.
Which benefits count towards the cap?
These benefits all count when working out how much you get a week:
- Bereavement Allowance
- Child Benefit
- Child Tax Credit
- Employment and Support Allowance (except where it is paid with the support component)
- Housing Benefit
- Incapacity Benefit
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance
- Maternity Allowance
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Widowed Parents Allowance
- Widowed Mothers Allowance
- Widows Pension
Households that will not be affected by the Cap
The cap won’t apply to you if you, your partner or any children you are responsible for qualify for Working Tax Credit or receive any of the following benefits:
- Disability Living Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance, if paid with the support component
- Industrial Injuries Benefits
- Personal Independence Payment
- Attendance Allowance
- War Pension Scheme payments(War widow’s/ War widower’s pension and War Disablement Pension)
How can you find out more about this?
The Department of Works and Pensions have a helpline if you need more information about how this may affect you. The helpline staff will provide general information about the changes and the support you can get but they will not have access to all of your benefit information.
The helpline number is 0845 605 7064 or text phone 0845 608 8551 for people with hearing or speech impairments. The helpline is open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.
You can also find more information online at https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap
If you wish to discuss your Housing Benefit further please ring us on 01283 508422 weekdays from 9am to 1pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also visit one of our Customer Service Centres in the Market Place, Burton upon Trent or the Library in Uttoxeter.