What is Council Tax Reduction?
Council Tax Reduction is a reduction in your Council Tax bill based on:
- your income
- the size of your family
- other adults who live with you
- the amount of Council Tax you have to pay
You can apply to get money off your council tax bill if you’re on a low income or claiming benefits. You can apply for Council Tax Reduction whether you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.
Council Tax Reduction replaced Council Tax Benefit, which stopped on 1 April 2013.
What you’ll get
You can get up to 100% reduction, depending on:
- where you live
- your circumstances (e.g. income, number of children)
- your household income - this includes things like savings, pension, your partner’s income
- if your children live with you
- if other adults live with you